Monday, March 9, 2015

My review of Just mayo

Ok so this week I've decided to do a food review!

We have been trying in our house to switch to as many organic and non GMO foods as possible and since we were out of mayo we decided to give the product Just Mayo a whirl.

Just Mayo is mayo like spread, in addition to being GMO free its gluten free, egg free, soy free, dairy free, kosher and vegan. The basic ingredients are canola oil,  water, lemon juice, vinegar,  spices, organic suger, pea protein, modified food starch, bete-carotene and calcium disodium EDTA

So I totally know what the first few ingredients are but I had to Google 2 of those last ones!

Modified food starch comes from
·corn
·potato
·tapioca
·rice
·wheat
I'm not sure what the starch used in this is from but it says its gluten free so probably not wheat.

Calcium disodium EDTA
Is s chemical salt that is used in food preservation and medicine.  After reading up on it I'll probably be trying to get foods that don't have it added. I'm definitely going to look into it more!

As far as taste of the product, its pretty good! Tastes fairly like mayo though lighter some how,  also I may be nuts but when tasted on it own I was pretty sure it was slightly gritty and the taste of pea seemed to be faintly there, it wasn't there in recipe I made though. I'll have to get hubby to try it when he gets a minute free.
All in all i find it a pretty good substitute for mayo! I would definitely recommend it to someone who was allergic to eggs!

I probably wont get it again though and in the future plan of perfecting homemade mayo!  :)

Peace everyone! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment