Monday, March 16, 2015

Peanut butter and chocolate chip granola bars *low carb, THM S*

So on weekends we generally get super busy and often forget to eat!  I know, I know it's terrible! So most weekends we tend to rely on cliff bars, not the worst choice but not the best either, also the cost adds up shockingly fast!  So this past week I actually thought ahead and made some! I couldn't find any recipes that had stuff I actually had on hand regularly and were on plan for trim healthy mama. So I made up a recipe and hubby loved it! Score! Saved us a couple bucks this past weekend and are also great for hubby to grab on the way out the door to work in the morning. Here is the recipe!

Peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars

1&1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sweet blend (this much makes it like cookie sweet, use less if you like)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp caramel extract (optional, but hubby and I love it with this!)
6 squares 85% chocolate bar (i used 3 min bars from the pack at aldi)

Blend 1/2 cup of the oats in blender and pulse for flour, put it and all dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt the coconut oil and peanut butter in a pot over low heat. Add to the dry ingredients with the caramel extract
Mix all together.  Chop up the chocolate into small pieces and add, mix well. Take mixture and put in a 9 by 13 pan lined with parchment paper and store in fridge till set. Cut into at least 8 bars to keep it a THM S with 9 net carbs.
*note* If you want you can add protein powder, I have never used it myself so wouldn't know how much to add, If you figure out an adjustment with it you really like please share in the comments below!  :)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Googling THM options for clif bars and other types of "bars" ... found this and it looks AWESOME!! Thanks for posting/sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these last night and they taste great!! Thanks for posting this recipe. My only question is I let them set in the fridge but how should I store after they're set? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply before! But i wrap them in plastic wrap and store in a Ziploc In the fridge :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry I didn't reply before! But i wrap them in plastic wrap and store in a Ziploc In the fridge :)

      Delete